-->

Friday 8 December 2017

Doyle - Abominator


I can't really remember how I stumbled across this record. I guess I was on "that part of the internet". Regardless of how the stars aligned, this is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, I'll be completely honest with you. Things get off to a shaky start, and it takes some time for me to get used to the vocalist on this project (Cancerslug's Alex "Wolfman" Story offers a grunge meets horror punk approach to the scenario at hand, which is a little jarring to start off with), but by the time track three is playing (the excellently catchy "Dreamingdeadgirls") I'm fully on board for the entirety of the journey, even though I cringed reallllly hard at the line "The quickest way to her heart is to cut through her fucking chest". Yeesh. 

Honestly, it all kinda blurs into one, but its nice to hear Doyle riffs again, especially with that chunky Dr. Chud percussion holding it all together. I always thought his playing style on the 90s Misfits records was itching to break out of the typical poppy punk conventions that the band practiced (his fills especially, longed for massive rolls, and his thrash-paced beats are top notch) so it was great to hear him tear out a little more behind the kit on something a bit more metal related. The overall production sound is much more metal actually, even of that of the sound on the 90s incarnation of The Misfits, but Abominator still retains overarching vibes of horror punk, which is to be expected. Not bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment