-->

Saturday 7 October 2017

The Astro-Zombies (1968)


I primarily checked out The Astro-Zombies because of The Misfits track which shares the same (or very similar) title. This film is, in a word, terrible. The pacing is excruciating, and when anything does happen, it is so badly acted out that it is just laughable, and not in a good way. The plot is paper thin, and the "Astro-Zombie" scenes are incredibly hammy. The titular "Zombie" is just some dude in a plastic mask. This is a B-Movie I know; a world where villains are often just dudes in plastic masks, but it is so casually obvious, with no apparent care or attempt to make it seem less obvious.

For the first half of the film I was completely lost in regards to the plot. The mad scientist and his cliche hunchback assistant are nauseatingly boring to watch, but the strangely beautiful Tura Satana keeps things mildly interesting as the enigmatic villain, even though she can't seem to fire a gun without posing like a complete buffoon.

Appalling, but a small part of me wants to see the sequel, for reasons that I cannot even explain to myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment