-->

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Festival Review - Obscene Extreme 2016


Another year passes, another OEF is under my belt...or at least, that's the way it seems these days, because time just goes so quick! So much has happened in a year but I was mega glad to be at this year's OEF with a big gang of friends old and new, which certainly made it it the best OEF yet. Last year was awesome, but y'know, you can only have so much fun on your own. A bit shout out to Steve Butler and Lisa Hart for letting me use a few of their holiday snaps to make this post look a bit prettier.

On the with the show...



THURSDAY

I completely missed Wednesday's activities this year, what with Jo graduating and flight times being a total bitch. My flight from Gatwick was also delayed on the runway, which is slowly becoming something of a yearly tradition, so I didn't get into Prague until darkness had fallen on Wednesday night and the madness was already underway. It was pissing down so I had a beer and got my head down ready to head over to Trutnov early on Thursday.

In what I thought was a smart-ass move, I didn't bring any camping equipment this year, thinking that it'd be easier (and even possibly cheaper) to get it all in Prague. I was very much mistaken, as the cheapest sleeping bag I could find in frantic Google searches (which also destroyed me via data roaming lol) was double the price of my tent, at a whopping 1500 crowns. That's an expensive fucking sleeping bag.

Anyways, several train/bus/train/bus/train journeys and hours later, after drinking a decent amount of beer with a German guy called Sebastian (cheers for the brews man!), I arrived in Trutnov and set up in the rain. Already steaming, I grabbed another beer and headed into the arena looking for my friends. The first band I caught was the Phillipino MANTICRUST (3/5) who played an upbeat combo of hardcore and grind.

After meeting up with everyone, just in time for SARCOTROFIA (?/5), we were told by the band's singer that the rest of the group were detained by boarder control and they would be unable to play. The vocalist seemed genuinely gutted and I felt sorry for them.

PALM (4/5) have an absolute shit ton of energy, and being the first band that I see properly I am well into this. The first of several Japanese bands to play this festival, PALM have a "modern" (read: Southern Lord) hardcore edge to their music, which is banging but not too boring (this stuff really can be, sometimes).

I spend the majority of sets by CRIMINAL (?/5) and SKELETAL REMAINS (?/5) drinking stupid amounts of Kozel so I feel it'd be unfair to pass judgement on them, as to be honest I didn't really pay that much attention.

That all changed however, when I got a decent spot for DEAD INFECTION (2/5); a band that I have looked forward to seeing for over a decade. These were probably the first goregrind band I ever heard, alongside LDOH, but they were easily the biggest disappointment of the weekend. I don't know if they have a new line up or something, but when they took the stage they looked nothing like I would have expected. I've not exactly kept tabs on the band's appearance (lol), but the DEAD INFECTION here were a shambolic three piece constantly out of time with each other. They even finished early, half way through a song. Perhaps there was something wrong? I'd always give them another chance, simply because of their legendary status.

VENOMOUS CONCEPT (4/5) are actually way better than I thought they'd be. That probably sounds a bit daft considering the line up, but I've never really been able to get into the studio stuff all that much. But this band is literally now half NAPALM DEATH half BRUTAL TRUTH - it simply cannot be shit, and it isn't. It's awesome.

INCANTATION (?/5) is spent drinking, ready for....

LOCK UP (5/5), or Shane Embury fest part 2. Lock Up, in my drunken state, look just like VENOMOUS CONCEPT have crawled back on stage, although this time bringing drum-pounding monster Nicholas Barker along with them. Kevin Sharp suits LOCK UP really well, and I'm looking forward to the new album they are doing with him.

TOXIC HOLOCAUST (3/5) is again, spent drinking. It's a bit of a blur, but I did watch a fair amount of the set. Thrash isn't really my forte, but they were fun and honestly, probably perfect drinking music.

BRUJERIA (5/5) are simply amazing. They have a different vocalist this time (I saw them back in 2011) but they also have some crazy woman come onstage doing all sorts of stupid shit to keep people entertained. I also notice that Jeff Walker isn't on bass anymore, but honestly, this doesn't really matter. The band are perfect headliner material; drunken machete waving madness covering a vast array of different material from the band's career, including that song about weed to close off haha

That's it for the music, but FLY HIGH TRIBE SHOW (1/5) follow up the bands. I won't go into this for fear of causing pointless offence. I just really don't like this suspension stuff.

S&M PROJECT SHOW (2/5) is almost as disappointing. Tamer than anything you'd see in an Amsterdam sex show (OK, apart from maybe the blood part) but 40 euros cheaper none the less. People seem to find it interesting but to me it seemed like a mix between Sunn O))) and a goblet full of piss.



FRIDAY

Friday morning is torture, due to my excessive "partying down" on the Thursday. Not only had I thrown up all over the inside of my damp tent; the resulting recovery period saw me missing RAMIN KUNTOPOLKU, FAMINE, KORPSE, LIVET SOM INSATS and MINCING FURY AND GUTTURAL CLAMOUR OF QUEER DECAY; all bands that I was mega looking forward to seeing. Lesson learned perhaps? No fucking chance.

I get to the arena in time for DECAYING PURITY (3/5) who's blasting death metal mush is completely lost on me in my zombie state.

SPEED! NOISE! HELL! (4/5) on the other hand are absolutely mental. It takes a while for whatever is going on here to sink in. This band are batshit insane - bringing that genuine Japanese off-the-wall craziness to the world of super-fast noisy punk. Deffo to be checked out.

SHACKLES (5/5) are unknown to me, but there's been a lot of hype for these guys, and now I can see why. This band are super heavy and super tight, taking sounds similar to WEEKEND NACHOS, ACxDC, even I guess MAGRUDERGRIND and giving it their own unique spin. Very hardcore, very powerviolence, very fast, very heavy. Bang a rang.

SPASM (5/5) are another band I have waited what seems like an age to see, and they do not disappoint. The SPASM show has happened at OEF several times and there is no surprise that it goes down very well and the party truly starts, mankinis and naughty masks included.

GRIDE (4/5) are a a long running Czech grind staple, and I've heard a few different records / splits over the years, but they always kinda blur into the background. They are that band that I always seem to forget about, purely because I am an idiot. Anyways, it was awesome to finally catch them live (wait, have I seen them before? Haha) and they absolutely killed it, proving the old guard still got all the best tricks.

DEFEATED SANITY (3/5) is just....wow. Fast. It's very impressive, and excruciatingly technical, but as usual, this kinda thing just kinda falls flat on it's face live, for me at least. I always feel bad because the effort and musical dexterity involved is staggering, but what is the point when it just sounds like a wall of mush?

WARWOUND (4/5), legendary in their own right, always seem to put on a good show. Rat (ex-Discharge / Varukers) is an enigmatic frontman, and whilst I doubt that most people in the audience know what he's saying between songs, WARWOUND are received rabidly by the crowd. Genuinely awesome band.

MEMORIAM (?/5) are the new supergroup featuring members of BENEDICTION and BOLT THROWER amongst others, but I need a lie down.

I come back in a few minutes into the set of Japan's DEATHSIDE (4/5) who are really, really impressive. Apparently they are a very influential and respected group in the Japanese hardcore scene, but that is hardly my strong-point, so it is my first experience with these guys. The lead vocalist is a menacing, terrifying individual, hammering home the brutal hardcore punk his band plays with masses of passion and conviction. Well worth a watch, fan or no.

Up next is the moment I have been waiting for, but never really expecting to happen. INSECT WARFARE (5/5) return for a special one off, final last-ever show. Over-hyped by non-grinders possibly, but easily one of the best grindcore bands in the history of time - one cannot simply turn their nose up at this. Finally I was able to catch them with a full line up, and it was worth waiting every second, minute, hour, day, year. I nearly broke my neck when they played "Digital Target". It is rare that I will brave the ferocity of the OEF pits, but I simply had to do it for this shit. Amazing experience, and not something I think all involved will be forgetting for a very long time. This time, truly RIP Insect Warfare.

Whatever comes next is gonna have a hard time. Any "standard" band would look a bit soft in comparison, so thankfully the line up has MELT BANANA (4/5), legends in their own right, following. Think THE LOCUST meets BABYMETAL on acid. But fuck Babymetal. Drum machine madness, grinding guitar noise, artsy fartsy bits and bobs and more haggard-looking speakers than a dodgy old sound store on the outskirts of town. The vocalist looks to be controlling the entire gig from what looks like a first gen PSP, which is extremely interesting in itself.

Up next are crusty grindcore legends EXTREME NOISE TERROR (4/5). There might only be one original member, but the DESECRATION lads add a whopping pile of weight behind the modern incarnation of this household name. Now with the vocalist from THE ROTTED / GOREROTTED backing up Dean, the band are as strong as ever. As always, there is a touching tribute to Phil Vane, but for the most part it's just out and out terrorizing extreme noise (see what I did there?).

Up next are VADER (3/5) who I've already seen before. I'm actually quite surprised how crisp and clean they sound; they are really on point, which is not what I expected.

THE VILE (5/5) features a few of the guys from WARWOUND. The drummer is the guitarist and Rat is back on vokills, making Friday at OEF officially Ratfest. Same as with LOCK UP following VENOMOUS CONCEPT, THE VILE seem like a ramped up, more energetic version of WARWOUND (perhaps this recurring theme can be attributed to how much alcohol I've consumed?). Either way, this band are awesome. Straight up in your face nasty punk. Slamming.

I'm flagging by this point but I stay around to see KRU$H (4/5) who are legendary. I've recently been jamming a lot of their stuff on the off-chance for Lines In Wax (reviews soon!) so I was determined to stay awake to catch these Dutch legends. KRU$H are one of those bands who are always billed as hardcore but they actually play savage as fuck old school grindcore. Hydra-head vocals, break neck speeds...what more do you want?

After this I give in, which sucks as I really want to see GEWOON FUCKING RAGGEN, but I decide to have an early night as I've already missed so much, and make up for it on the Saturday.



SATURDAY

I want to be awake in time for PISS VORTEX (?/5), but unfortunately, I just missed them. This year marks the worst OEF for bands actually seen; I missed so much shit I wanted to see! Idiot!

Anyways I managed to get in to the arena in time to see 908 (4/5) who are seriously fucking awesome. Super fast and heavy grindcore from America, which I'd never heard of before this point so I'm well happy I caught these.

We all missed PRUMYSLOVA SMRT (?/5) and TERRORDOME (?/5) because of a group decision to head off-site in search of a decent meal (ie - meat). I personally love the food they have at OEF, but I'm also not a vegan, so after three days of eating tofu and broccoli kebabs or beetroot bhajis off the Hare Krishna stall, I didn't realise just how much I needed something more solid. I usually save myself for a Prague Burger King 'n' pint combo, but the "Motorest" Trutnov just outside the festival was well worth a visit if you've got meat cravings at the vegan show.

Back just in the nick of time for ATTACK OF RAGE (5/5) whose name, despite being a bit daft, entirely sums up the sound and approach that this group takes to grindcore. I'd never heard them before, so I watched out of curiosity, but was completely blown away.

BODYFARM (?/5) pull out of the festival for the 2nd year in a row (hard luck, lads) so instead, replacing them last minute are two piece grinding whirlwind of madness, SHIT GRINDER (4/5). It's two people, it's very fast, and very messy and noisy, and right up my street. An unexpected turn of events despite the shitty situation with BODYFARM. I'll definitely be checking out some material by the grinder of shit when I get home.

Some much needed groove is up next, with goregrind powerhouse GUINEAPIG (5/5) bulldozering over the crowd with their sludgy, suspiciously-CBT-like gore groove. This is in no way original, but it is heavy as absolute fuck, and gets the Trutnov party crowd fired up. Out come the inflatable animals, the friendly circle pits and the stupid dancing. Pitchshifted gorey "grind" at it's best.

I catch a bit of WAR MASTER (3/5) sitting up on the hill out of the sun, and this new INSECT WARFARE project is old school death metal through and through.

EXCREMENTORY GRINDFUCKERS (5/5) follow, with their insane mix of almost pirate-metal sounding synth daftness and blasting grindcore insanity. It is, to be honest, all a bit much, and definitely a gimmick, but it translates so much better via the stage than it does via a CD. Finishing the circus with a cover of Europe's "The Final Countdown" (re-dubbed as "The Final Grind-down") - which is surprisingly on point - the band leave the crowd in very high spirits.

SKULLHOG (2/5) are a bit like a fart at a funeral afterwards, with their sludgy, "grind-influenced" doom. It's well played, but couldn't have been placed at a worse time, I think.

AVULSED (3/5) are a band whose studio albums I have enjoyed in the past, but I just can't get into here. Perhaps I'm just too tired? Not really though, because...

PUTRID PILE (4/5) is fucking class. A legend in the death metal scene, and responsible (along with Mortician) for a generation of awful one man shit shows. Often imitated, never beaten though. Drum machine death metal at it's absolute finest.

I take a bit of a break and come back around two songs into DEVOURMENT's (3/5) set. Another legendary name lending their title to the OEF stage, but it's not really the same band any more. Regardless, they are pretty tight and they do play a lot of older shit, which is quite honestly all I'm really interested in hearing. The guitarist switches to bass half way through, and absolutely slays it on the new choice of instrument. Despite proclaiming that they would not be playing "Babykiller", the band finish their set with it.

Rumours have been circulating about ROTTEN SOUND (5/5) and before the set, the vocalist takes to the stage with an announcement, so things look a bit grim. He advises the crowd that their drummer fell and broke his foot in the mud due to the rain, on Thursday. He also advised that (somehow) the band had still been practicing since, and they had decided instead of pulling out, to do a d-beat set instead; re-imagining ROTTEN SOUND classics as d-beat bangers. Finally, before beginning, he confirmed that Curby had said that ROTTEN SOUND would be back at OEF in 2018 to play a proper set.

You would never have been able to tell the drummer had a broken foot. In what was a display of sheer skill or total recklessness, he leads ROTTEN SOUND through their punishing set without once betraying that he had any broken bones. And the songs, as "d-beats" sound absolutely incredible, and it seems the band are having a lot of fun re-inventing their back catalogue on the fly. It quickly becomes apparent that instead of a last minute shit-show, I am instead watching something incredibly special that will be remembered for quite some time. I hope Lunatic Media caught a few moments of this on tape!

SODOM (4/5) were old when I saw them like 7 years ago. Now they are even older, but they still have it. One of the thrash bands I can legitimately enjoy; they can't match the ferocity of ROTTEN SOUND but they still put on a hell of a show, which proves there's still life in the old dog o' Sodom yet.

CATTLE DECAPITATION (5/5) were fucking savage when I caught them a few weeks ago, and they are fucking savage now, to absolutely no surprise whatsoever. The band has truly transcended death metal into something entirely unique. They are their own band, with their own sound, something which is rare in these circles. All the band are on point, but the drummer is out of this world, and Travis Ryan - long running scene maniac - well...what can I say about that guy that hasn't been said a thousand times. Amazing.

I have no idea what to expect from HELLBASTARD (4/5) as their stuff is so varied, but it was fast, slightly messy old school crusty shit accompanied with fire-breathing and seven songs about Curby. It was awesome to finally catch these guys (another legend ticked off the list) but their set is cut short because of, I guess, how long it took them to set up.

GUST (2/5) are trying far too hard to be a serious dark hardcore band. I mean, they are good musicians, but it's just tired, trend-hopping shit. Ironically my OEF booklet basically tells me they play the same ol' dark hardcore WITHOUT being boring. If you scroll up to the PALM review at the top of this post, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm calling a potential signing to Southern Lord, an LP released on a variety of colours, and a fade into obscurity by the time the next BLACK BREATH record is out.

TIBOSITY (3/5) were enormous fun but I am afraid to rate them any higher because, honestly, I can barely remember them! Haha - It was goregrind nonsense all round, and that's about it!

POTHEAD (3/5) close the festival with the dreaded 3am slot. The band are absolutely daft as fuck, playing a mix of hip hop, almost-slam-like riffs and goregrind. Nobody can make a word out what the vocalist is saying, but I don't suppose it really matters, as it gets everyone dancing to the silliness. The masks and costumes only add to the novelty. The set is rounded off with a Ahamado Granujo cover, techno parts included, and I begin to suspect a cross over of members...

Either way, that brings OEF 2016 to a close. 

Same again next year, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment