-->

Friday 22 July 2016

Agolloch - Pale Folklore


I'll admit, it took me repeated listens to get into this. Folk-influenced black metal is hardly my strong point, but there's always been something about this Agolloch record that keeps dragging me back to try and listen through it again. Now, I identify with a subtlety to the music, something which took me a while to understand whilst deciphering the three-part epic "She Painted Fire Across The Skyline"; an incredibly ambitious piece to open up an album with. I think that's it, actually - getting through this mammoth opener to the continuing gems beyond.

Past this point the epic journey continues in leaps and bounds, but with - what I feel - more room to breathe, not having to constantly reprise the thematics of "She Painted Fire...". Case in point, "Hallways Of Enchanted Ebony" and "As Embers Dress The Sky" are two fantastically spellbinding compositions of song-weavery; black metal's dim, lo-fi velocity meeting the intricate web of forgotten folklore, resulting in tracks positively dripping with magic.

Taste:

No comments:

Post a Comment