-->

Saturday 4 October 2014

Mortiis - The Song Of A Long Forgotten Ghost


Out of all the early Mortiis ambient keyboard pieces, The Song Of A Long Forgotten Ghost is probably the one that I am least familiar with, which is a crying shame because it's a truly beautiful piece of music. Sometimes I wish I had the patience to put something like this together but I have to accept that I just can't play the piano, organ, synth or what-have-you without any practice or training haha

Early Mortiis conjures images of lands lost and shrouded in mystery and intrigue; of misty fjords and leaden skies; crumbling castles and times gone by. Yeah. My favourite way to jam early Mortiis when I was younger was to import all of his Era 1 stuff into the sound files for games such as TES III: Morrowind and the likes, and have them as my soundtrack for exploring fantastical worlds. Some of my most affectionate memories of the times spent in those games stem from extremely moving scores such as this. Sad? Yes. Nerdy? Yes. But, it was fucking awesome. I don't normally get that nerdy, but I enjoyed it immensely.

This impossible-to-find gem has been re-released on a series of formats, most notably vinyl and CD, or even a CD-book in a variety of pretty colours. You can even pick up some signed by Mortiis direct from the man himself if you've got a few extra quid spare. It's artists like Mortiis that make me sad to be parting ways with my physical record collection.

Anyways, I implore you listen to the original demo tape recording over any reissue you may come across - the sound here is absolutely amazing; including tape wobbles and treble heavy sound. It's not perfect, but it's so goddamn amazing. Lose yourself in another world!

No comments:

Post a Comment