-->

Thursday 10 July 2014

Dead Infection - Brain Corrosion



Dead Infection were one of the first goregrind bands I ever heard alongside Last Days of Humanity. Together they made up the dankest sound I had ever heard at 16 years of age, previously having only experienced grind with Napalm Death's Scum and a cross section of Anal Cunt stuff. When I downloaded Brain Corrosion shortly after, I was blown away by the crisp, heavy sound and high quality production that was the total opposite of the dirgy, muddy tracks I had heard alongside Last Days of Humanity. Early Dead Infection might be vital to the development of the goregrind genre (in Europe, at least) but 2004's return saw the band blasting out ridiculously heavy and lightening fast grindcore in lieu of their sludgy, gurgley goregrind of old.


The song titles show a band that are not afraid to indulge in their silly side. Opening track "It's Over" possesses some of the greatest blastbeats ever, whilst "You Broke My T-Shirt" takes the prize for stupidest song on the album. Both "Crankshaft" and "Rich Zombie" are enormous, with the former sounding like the angry bastard child of the title track of From Enslavement to Obliteration. With the gore themes scaled back, and growls and vomited vocals used instead of pitchshifted blurs, Brain Corrosion is a modern-sounding excercise in true European blasting grindcore, and it should be heard by any fan of the genre.


Originally released on CD by Obliteration Records in 2004, it has since been repressed in 2005 again on CD by Moral Insanity Records, and finally on 12" LP in 2006 thanks to Selfmadegod Records. In hindsight I would have bought the vinyl version, but I had the CD first. Gutted. Maybe one day I'll get the vinyl version and I'll update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment