-->

Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Chile



I always remember my father talking about this record. This was always one of those stories that would come up after a few whiskies. Long and short of the story was that my Dad had swapped this Jimi Hendrix record for something a long time ago, and that the record must have been worth a fortune now. He mentioned it once after my initiation into the awesome world of vinyl and I decided to look online for it. eBay was loaded up, and I quickly bought it for a quid or two. Nevermind. It might not have been rare as fook but at least it didn't exactly cost me the earth. And that was the end of that story. I considered selling this as I had no interest in Hendrix (the guitar nerds at school bumming fuck out of him really put me off), but I kept it and forgot about it for a few weeks. When I actually listened to it, I really liked it. 

 

I won't dwell too much on side A because, let's face it, every person in the world has heard Voodoo Chile. What fascinates me is side B, which stretches 8 minutes (on a 7" mind) at an astonishing 45rpm with no apparent deterioration or loss in volume. Holy mother, that isn't physically possible under the laws of vinyl pressing! I don't understand it at all. Anyway, two of my all time favourite songs on side B; "Watchtower" and "Hey Joe". I prefer "Watchtower", but listening to "Hey Joe" is what having a record player is all about. Shivers up the ol' spine, and all that. Makes me wanna go out to shitty boot sales and buy thousands of crackly old 45s!

No comments:

Post a Comment